Sunday, January 10, 2010

An activity pledge to myself

I'm taking this from the Facebook note I wrote yesterday and slapping it here for prosperity sake. Enjoy!




Well, it's the new year, and I'm sure lots of people have made resolutions for 2010. One of my resolutions for this year is to be a lot more active, and get myself back to a practible level of fitness. I don't want to run a marathon or lift obscene amounts of weight, I just want to be healthy and be able to do what I used to be able to do without hesitation; bike for more than 5 minutes, run for more than 2, and lift myself more than a foot. Biking and climbing were my bread and butter when I was a kid, and I want to get back to that.

So, I'm pledging to myself to be more active this year, and I've tried to come up with a little regime to be able to do that. I've wanted to start running again for a while now, and going climbing with Jill ans Ann and Dan the other day really brought that back into my mind, I forgot how much I liked climbing. Anyways, this is what I've come up with for myself.

I'm on campus 5 days a week, and I've been wasting away the PAC membership we all have this school year, so I'm going to try and use it every day.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays will be cardio and endurance training. Running, rowing, cycling, and maybe some low-weight lifting. I need to strengthen up my cardio system so my muscles can actually recouperate when I'm lifting my heavy self up. And as it stands right now, I get a kittle winded walking up the Arts ramp on campus, and that's just not good.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are going to be strength days. I've never been into weight lifting, I don't know how to target muscle groups, and I've always found watching myself in the mirror to be way to self indulgent and superficial for my tastes. So, with inspiration from Jill and Ann the other day, I want to use wall climbing as a full body strength and endurance training workout. I like it for two reasons; first, I'm kindof heavy right now, so lifing myself around will be a great form of natural resistance.
Second, I'm a big fan of practical exercise. I think focusing on one or two muscles at a time is a little silly, and not really all that helpful in the real world. Climbing not only works most of my body at once, but it works it in useful ways, ways I can actually use in the world. Also, it's just down right fun.

I also want to start playing squash again, but I need a new squash partner. Graham isn't going to school this year so i'm down an opponent. I can also use squash as one of my cardio/endurance days, lots of running involved. Plus it's super fun, I think. Any kind of sport would be great, really.

Right now the only thing I need to do is take the climbing safety orientation at the PAC so I can start climbing at school, and maybe a partner to climb with would be handy too.

So that's step one to a happier Steve in 2010, the rest of the steps will take a little more work, but hopefully they shape up well. Overall I'm really looking forward to this year, it started great and has been going strong ever since. I hope everyone is looking forward to a great year as well, and will help me keep the good times rolling.

Mood: happy :)
Listening to: Hot Hot Heat on Sirius Alt Nation [can't find my Zune for work today :( ]
State of mind: forward thinking and excited

No comments:

Post a Comment