Monday, February 26, 2007


I want to go to university. The problem is I don't know what I want to go to university for. Pretty much all the friends of mine who've gone to university or presued other post-secondary education went with a pretty realized purpose. Pharmacy, paramedic, teaching. But I have no idea what I want to do. How did they know? They didn't just decide over night. And I'm pretty sure it would be a bad idea if I tried to do that. All I really know is that I want to go to university. Partly just for the sake of going. But I don't know what to go for, or what I want to do in the future. Do I want to be a teacher? A computer technician? A factory worker? I've always joked around that I want to be a professors of philosophy, sometimes it just seems silly, other times it seems like a pretty good idea. But who knows. I'm told that no matter what you do when you go to university, you pretty much go though 1-year of Arts and Science, kinda to see if you actually want to be there, and kinda to see if they want you around at all. I got to thinking tonight and it might not be a bad idea to do just a first year Arts and Science thing. Just to see what it's like, to have gone, and to have something to do. That's one of the biggest problems I have with where I'm at right now, I don't really have anywhere to go besides to work, and I'm going no where at work. If I went to university or some other 4+ year learning commitment, at least that's 4 years where I don't have to worry about what I'm doing or where I'm going, it's pretty planned out. But where do I go after that? And what am I studying for those 4+ years? I put in a call to my high school guidance councillor tonight, and I'm hoping I can talk to him about this stuff, I'm sure he can give me some information or direction. Maybe I can do the first year university thing and then go from there. Right now it's the closest thing to a plan I've got. If this was the 24th century this would be easy! I'd just join Star Fleet! Pretty much the only thing I know for sure is that I don't want to join the army. I certainly don't want to see combat, though I'm told if I join the reserves they ask if you want to go. But I don't think I could join the military. I don't do well when people are yelling at me. Oh well.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, you should get a course calendar for next year and just pick some classes that seem good to you from that! Which is basically what you said: just take some first year courses and go from there. I could totally see you as a teacher! Teaching like... the tech stuff. Just avoid Math 110 if at all possible! That class is evil, I think the fail/drop-out rate is probably 50-60%

    ReplyDelete