Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Eritonik Dialogues - On Work


20. March
Erik
08:46
It’s awesome that you have a field that you know you want to work in.
Steve


Well someone else planted the seeds, I'm just sowing them
LOL FIELD PUNS HA
Steve
I dunno, I think there's two ways to look at working in the Western world
One is that your career is who you are, it's what you want to do and you make a living from it. The other is that your career and what you do has nothing to do with who you are, it just enables you to do what you want to do.
Either has just as much potential to lead a fulfilling lifestyle
I'm also immature and idealistic so take anything I ever say with a spoon of rock salt
But I'd like to think that it's more important to determine what makes you happy as an individual, and find ways to enable that. Be by pursuing a long career, or funding it by working.
Erik
That’s not wrong. But eventually there is a point where work gets in the way of your fulfillment
Especially when work sucks donkey nuts
Steve
I can't disagree with that, I've definitely been there.
Corey always tried to tell me how lucky I am that I have the ability to work in a field that I really enjoy, and I don'
I don't agree with him.
I think it's fortunate that I can enjoy the work I do when I do work in that field, but outside of that I never have much else I'm working towards in a fulfilling way
When I was working at the University I was basically just killing time until I could go back into the office and keep doing what I liked doing.
So I was pretty happy and fulfilled at work, but pretty bored and unfulfilled in my 'personal' time
For many people it's reversed, their work life is unfulfilling and they're just killing time at their job so they can get home and do what they really like
So I suppose in my experience I've always just flopped between the two. Unfulfilling personal time working towards fulfilling work, or unfulfilling work leading towards fulfilling personal time
But as long as you have that aspect of fulfillment in one or the other, you're okay
But if you lose grasp of fulfillment wherever you were finding it, that's when you start to slip into the ruts

No comments:

Post a Comment