Thursday, January 20, 2011

Resolutions of 2011 - Oh hai thar, cliche!


This is a repost of the Facebook note I wrote at the beginning of the year. I love reposts. They're warm.


I've no problem perpetuating the cliche of New Years resolutions. Taking a look back at the past year and thinking critically of what you'd like to change moving forward is a good personal task, and can be very difficult. Looking back at 2010 there's no doubt that it was one of the greatest years ever. I had a great time with some of the greatest people I've known, and that's not something I'm going to change for 2011. There are, however, some things I do want to change moving forward. Lets have a look.

1. Take better care of myself

I could have taken much better care of myself this past year, and moving forward into 2011 I'm going to do a much better job of it, body mind and spirit. This can encompass many things, from working out to reducing stress, but I'm bunching them all up together. The body is a temple, and it needs to be taken care of in many ways.

2. Be more financially responsible

Coming into 2011 I'm legitimately upset at the state of my expenses. I need to be much more conscious of that I do with my money. I'm working hard to focus on school this year, and part of that means not working two jobs and leaving myself with no time to take care of business, and I need to be more mindful of that. Working less means making less, and this year that's going to mean spending less. A LOT less. I'm going to be making a much greater effort to keep track of my budget and make sure I'm not making unnecessary purchases. Sorry, Dave, I won't be playing much poker for a while.

3. Do my best

This one is a little weird. But honestly, I don't try very hard most of the time. I'm going to make a greater effort in 2011, school is one of the important things I need to do my best at and I'm glad I got off to a good start in September. Doing my best applies to everything though, at both the above mentioned goals, and anything I come across as the year goes on. No more half-assing, 2011 is going to see Steve running on more cylinders and doing his best all year long.

4. Keep organized

Here's a holdover from last year. In 2010 I kept more organized than in 2009, but 2011 is going to see see further improvements, and it's going to be a big part of making sure my other goals don't get neglected.

5. Get to know myself

One of my resolutions from last year was to find someone to do everything in 2010 with. In many ways I found a lot of people do make that happen, but not in the way I was looking for. But over the course of 2010 I realized that it's going to be hard to get to know someone who I want to get to know me if I'm not very sure of who I am to begin with. For 2011 I want to get to know myself better, and become more comfortable with who I am. It's not about finding the best version of myself, but combining all the versions of myself into one person that I have a grasp on being. This one might be the most difficult of all, but I think that more than my other goals for 2011, it may be the most important and also most rewarding. And I'm sure there will be many people to come along on this journey with me.

So those are my resolutions for 2011. Of course there are other things I'd like to get done this year. I still want to travel, I still want to write, I still want to experience things. But above are what I'm considering the most boiled down resolutions I have, and by the time 2012 rolls around I hope to be and improved person, inside and out, and I'm sure I'll resolve to improve upon what I'll do this year.

I look forward to spending time with you all in 2011, there's definitely some of you I want to see more. Until then, happy new year, lets all make it the best yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment